Pages

Friday, August 3, 2012

Women's All-Round Artistic Gymnastics Finals



I thought that USA coach looked familiar. He's Liang Chow, the coach that was made famous by coaching world champion Shawn Johnson. Received another education from my younger self here. I actually look forward to seeing Shawn get that gold back then. I didn't realize how short-lived their careers are and could only make it to at most (normally), 2 olympics. One before their peaks and one during their peak. And the turn over rate for women is quicker. 
Gabrielle Johnson is just one precarious child. From the start, she never rests. She kept on stretching, jumping around, her head in the game. She didn't even look at the cameras, didn't glance at the leader boards too much. My mum decided after seeing her at her first apparatus that she would win gold, and went to sleep. How spot on! 
Also in the competition is Viktoria Komova, who shined in Youth Olympic Games and is hot favourite to become champion. An article I scanned 2 years ago (I was so much more crazier then) predicted that she will be the future olympic star. Both of them are 17 years old this year. She led from the qualifiers but lost to Douglas in the end...I think both of them are maybe, equally great. But Douglas won that mental bit. She was more composed, more calm. 
I had goosebumps after seeing Komova mouthing 'oh my god', with tears glistening in her eyes. She's still as calm as always. She's such a fighter, she lives with a host family in another state just so she could train with Liang Chow. Komova broke down upon receiving the results. :(( Aww.

No comments:

Post a Comment